Friday, February 18, 2011

Hi Ladies!

When Laura first sent out the information about our February mission, A Cup of Joe for a Joe, I was excited to know that we may be able to lift the spirits of troops far away from home with just a cup of coffee.  I wrote back to Laura to let her know that I was looking forward to this mission because my cousin, Chris, was just deployed to Afghanistan on February 2, and although I wasn't sure if we would be able to connect our mission to his battalion, I was happy to know that someone like Chris would benefit from our donations and support.  Laura and I did some research on the mission....and it turns out that we can specify a location that we want our donations to go to!!  To top it off, Chris has a Green Beans location almost 100 ft. from his "house" (as he calls it) in Bagram, Afghanistan.  He even said that it may just have the best Chai he's ever tasted!  My heart was filled with joy to know that we could give to him and his unit!

Chris is a member of the Army Reservist Detachment 26  203rd MIBN (Military Intelligence Battalion).  He joined the military right out of high school; serving one year in Korea.  Chris met his wife, Amy, after he returned from his service and they now have two precious children, Ben (18 months) and Anna (almost 5 months).  He will be gone almost a year...hopefully returning home before Christmas this year.  We pray that his time in Afghanistan is not extended and that he can return home as expected.  I asked him about his "house"...it's a 7 ft x 20 ft cargo container.  There are two guys per container.  His roommate is a newlywed.  He said that the Green Beans cafe is a trailer...really everything is a trailer.  He said it's cold right now and it has been snowing.  We aren't sure about his job, given that most everything he does is top secret anyway....so the most we can pray for is that he's safe.  

Coffee doesn't seem like anything special...but to someone so far away from home, family, and friends, it can brighten your day.  I have no idea what stresses he's dealing with...but the living situation and the fact that he's just trying to get through one day at a time let me know that our mission...no matter how big or small...will be such a blessing to him and the men and women around him.  Thank you for your support in our February mission...and I hope that my story about Chris will help make the mission more personal to you.  

Sincerely,
Dana Prewitt
 
Chris Moses

Amy, Anna, Chris and Ben